Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Why I Chose This Lens - Isaac Barrios Perez

I chose to read Beloved through the psychoanalytic lens.  First of what are psychoanalytic lens?  The psychoanalytic lens is a way to view a piece of literature with the specific reason.  In this case the psychoanalytic lens focuses on the subconscious mind of a character.  You look at the emotions and inner conflicts the character is having and derive your own meaning from it.  The brain to this day is still a mystery that we are constantly asking questions about.  Trying to understand how the brain works and why has always been one of my fascination.  Although we are far from fully grasping the knowledge of the brain, there a few stuff we speculate happens within our brain.


Dr. Freud, to me at least, is the founder of the psycho lens.  An Australian neurologist, Dr. Freud, theorized three part to a human personality: Id, ego, and superego.  This was a surprise to me knowing that subconsciously we have three types of personalities.  So I began to research on his theory.  The Id I found was was the instant desire to have something.  If you don't meet this desire you become anxious and act without thinking.  After I read this, I had a "yeah I know that feeling" moment.  Looking back, there were a lot of times where I did something without really thinking of about the consequences of my actions.  Following up, ego is mostly about thinking about your consequences.  You think about the consequences before you decide to engage in any action.  Like Id, I noticed ego in my decisions and actions.  I noticed that ego kicked in in higher stake scenarios.  Where, there are two outcomes and you have to decide which is better.  Sometimes from there, you consult your morals, whether your actions is either good or bad.  Adding morals takes ego to the next level which is superego.  All in all, It will be interesting diving into the mind of Toni Morrison.

No comments:

Post a Comment